An alleged Moto handset has reportedly caught fire in Rewari, Haryana. A customer named Sachin Yadav uploaded a 30-second video clip on YouTube showing the device, allegedly Moto E3 Power, emitting smoke. Yadav explained on Facebook that the device blew up after 20 minutes of charging. Responding to this, Motorola said that it’s in the process of contacting the customer and investigating the situation. However, we are yet to learn from Motorola what may have caused the explosion.
“We are contacting the customer and investigating the situation. Motorola batteries are tested in our own labs, in addition to official certification which is performed at third party labs, consistent with industry practice. The internal testing provides an additional level beyond industry standards. Additionally, we work directly with our suppliers to ensure manufacturing testing, materials, and design consistently produce high-quality batteries,” Motorola told Techook.
Watch the video below:
A battery typically from what we’ve seen can catch fire or explode due to one of two things: either a manufacturing defect (as in the case of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7) or a customer’s poor treatment of the device. If it’s a manufacturing defect, there’s nothing you can do to prevent it from blowing up, but there are some ways you can ensure your usage of the device isn’t contributing to its fiery death.
A couple of months ago, a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 handset exploded in owner’s pocket in Andhra Pradesh, sustaining an injury on his outer thigh. Xiaomi later revealed to Techook that extreme external force was applied to the device, which led to the back cover and battery being bent and screen getting damaged.