Caught on camera: Alleged Samsung phone reportedly exploded in user’s shirt pocket

A video shot from a CCTV camera shows a man falling down after a phone exploded in his shirt pocket.

  1. Techook
  2. News
  3. Caught on camera: Alleged Samsung phone reportedly exploded in user’s shirt pocket

Highlights

    • Samsung phone exploded in Indonesia
    • The user may have been at fault

     

An alleged Samsung phone burst into flames in a user’s pocket in Indonesia, reports Channel News Asia. A video shot from a CCTV camera of some shows a man falling down after an alleged Samsung phone exploded in his shirt pocket. While it was not clear in the video what phone was catching fire, reports stated that it was Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos released in 2013.

Responding to the CCTV footage, Samsung spokesperson told CNET that the battery used in the device was not manufactured by Samsung or a company authorised by Samsung. “We sincerely wish for our customer’s swift recovery, and strongly recommend all our consumers to use Samsung’s genuine or approved batteries that have been specifically designed for use in Samsung products,” Samsung spokesperson added.

samsung-explosion

A couple of months ago, Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 exploded in a user’s pocket Andhra Pradesh. However, Xiaomi later told Techook that extreme external force was applied to the device, which led to the back cover and battery being bent and screen getting damaged. Xiaomi also appealed its customers to avoid opening the device, puncturing the battery or applying extreme physical force to the device.

A battery typically from what we’ve seen can catch fire or explode due to one of two things: either a manufacturing defect (as in the case of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7) or a customer’s poor treatment of the device. If it’s a manufacturing defect, there’s nothing you can do to prevent it from blowing up, but there are some ways to ensure your usage of the device isn’t contributing to its fiery death.

Watch the CCTV footage of the explosion below: